[OL] I feel sorry for people who don't drink......
Mr. Mistery
2007-03-20 22:23:51 UTC
Fun? click on:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~npjdjong/index.html

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning,
that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Bill Colmers
2007-03-20 22:45:53 UTC
Post by Mr. Mistery
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the
morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Indeed, that is the truth, Deano!

Bill
SkippyPB
2007-03-21 14:43:50 UTC
On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 23:23:51 +0100, "Mr. Mistery"
Post by Mr. Mistery
http://www.xs4all.nl/~npjdjong/index.html
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning,
that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
Please give credit where credit is due. The above quote is from Frank
Sinatra.

Here's a few more with credit for the quotes given:

* "Beer is not a good cocktail-party drink, especially in a home
where you don’t know where the bathroom is." — Billy Carter

* "Something has been said for sobriety but very little." — John
Berryman

* "Man, being reasonable, must get drunk; The best of life is but
intoxication: . . . " — Lord Byron

* "Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more
cakes and ale?" — William Shakespeare, Twelfth Night

* "One can drink too much, but one never drinks enough." — Gotthold
Ephraim Lessing

* "Frankly, I was horrified by life, at what a man had to do simply in
order to eat, sleep, and keep himself clothed. So I stayed in bed and
drank. When you drank the world was still out there, but for the
moment it didn’t have you by the throat." — Charles Bukowski

* "Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough." — Mark Twain

* "Those that merely talk and never think,
That live in the wild anarchy of drink."
— Ben Jonson

* "An alcoholic is someone you don’t like who drinks as much as you
do." — Dylan Thomas

* "The first drink with water, the second without water, the third
like water." — Spanish maxim

* "We, the undersigned, recognizing the evils of drunkenness and
resolved to check its alarming increase, with consequent poverty,
misery and crime among our people, hereby solemnly pledge ourselves
that we will not get drunk more than four times a year, viz., Fourth
of July, Muster Day, Christmas Day, and Sheep-Sheering." -
Massachusetts temperance societies, 1820, quoted in The Great
Quotations, George Seldes, 1983

* " . . . drunks like to talk. We talked. We drank. We drank again." —
Blaise Cendrars, on meeting Ernest Hemingway

* "You’re not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." —
Dean Martin

* "For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity or perception
to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable:
intoxication." _ Friedrich Nietzsche

* "The worse thing about some men is that when they are not drunk they
are sober." — William Butler Yeats

* "Good God, if our civilization were to sober up for a couple of days
it’d die of remorse on the third . . . " — Malcolm Lowry, Under the
Volcano

* "First there was a young guy sitting in front of television in a
T-shirt drinking beer with his mother, then there was an older fatter
person sitting in front of television in a T-shirt drinking beer with
his mother." — William S. Burroughs on Jack Kerouac

* "What I’m trying to say is, I’m not a drinker - I’m a drunk." — The
Lost Weekend

* "My uncle was the town drunk—and we lived in Chicago." — George
Gobel

* "All failures—neurotics, psychotics, criminals, drunkards, problem
children, suicides, perverts, and prostitutes—are failures because
they are lacking in social interest." — Alfred Adler, What Life Should
Mean to You, 1931

* "Drink, and be mad, then; ’tis your country bids!
Gloriously drunk, obey th’ important call!" — William Cowper, The Task
* "Beware of the man who does not drink." — Proverb

* "After a month’s sobriety my faculties became unbearably acute and I
found myself unhealthily clairvoyant, having insights into places I’d
as soon not journey to. Unlike some men, I had never drunk for
boldness or charm or wit; I had used alcohol for precisely what it
was, a depressant to check the mental exhilaration produced by
extended sobriety." — Frederick Exley, A Fan’s Notes

* "24 hours a day, 24 beers in a case . . . coincidence, I think not."
— Chubba

* "She left and I got drunk for three days and three nights. When I
sobered up I knew my job was gone." — Bukowski, Factotum

* "Drunkenness is the ruin of reason. It is premature old age. It is
temporary death." — St. Basil

* "They talk of my drinking but never my thirst." — Scottish proverb

* "I believe, if we take habitual drunkards as a class, their heads
and their hearts will bear an advantageous comparison with those of
any other class. There seems ever to have been a proneness in the
brilliant and warm-blooded to fall into this vice." — Abraham Lincoln,
1842

* "It provokes the desire but it take away the performance." —
Shakespeare, Macbeth

* "If [alcohol] sloweth age, it strengtheneth youth, it helpeth
digestion, it abandoneth melancholie, it relisheth the heart, it
lighteneth the mind, it quickeneth the spirits, it keepeth and
preserveth the head from whirling, the eyes from dazzling, the tongue
from lisping, the mouth from snaffling, the teeth from chattering, and
the throat from rattling; it keepeth the stomach from wambling, the
heart from swelling, the hands from shivering, the sinews from
shrinking, the veins from crumbling, the bones from aching, and the
marrow from soaking." — Anonymous, 13th century, quoted in The Great
Quotations, George Seldes, 1983

* "Now is the time for drinking, now the time
to beat the earth with unfettered foot."
— Horace

* "There is nothing for a case of nerves like a case of beer." — Joan
Goldstein

* "My grandmother is over eighty and still doesn’t need glasses.
Drinks right out of the bottle." — Henny Youngman

* "A productive drunk is the bane of moralists." — Unknown

* "I was carrying a beautiful alcoholic conflagration around with me.
The thing fed on its own heat and flamed the fiercer. There was no
time, in all my waking time, that I didn’t want a drink. I began to
anticipate the completion of my daily thousand words by taking a drink
when only five hundred words were written. It was not long until I
prefaced the beginning of the thousand words with a drink." — Jack
London

* "It’s better to have beer in hand than gas in tank." — Anonymous

* "Drinking is a way of ending the day." — Ernest Hemingway

* "When men drink, then they are rich and successful and win lawsuits
and are happy and help their friends.
Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say
something clever." — Aristophanes, Knights

* "Bourbon." — Tallulah Bankhead’s last words

* "God looks after fools, drunkards and the United States." —
Anonymous

* "Con pan y vino se anda el camino." [With bread and wine you can
walk your road.] — Spanish proverb

* "Draft beer, not people!" — Sixties peace slogan

* "When I realized that what I had turned out to be was a lousy,
two-bit pool hustler and drunk, I wasn’t depressed at all. I was glad
to have a profession." — Danny McGoorty

* "I drink to make other people interesting." — George Jean Nathan

* "Drunkenness is temporary suicide; the happiness that it brings is
merely negative, a momentary cessation of unhappiness." — Lord Russell
* "Somebody left the cork out of my lunch." — W.C. Fields

* "Why don’t we get drunk and screw?" — Jimmy Buffett

* "Almost to a man these dead geniuses spoke of themselves as heavy
drinkers, as did I. Masterful, self-controlled, heavy drinkers. Not
drunks, my God, no. At worst, and to make one’s self-image truly and
formally clear, the term might be ‘functional alcoholic.’ But even
that terrible label has a soulful thrust to it, as if this drunk is
completely in focus! If I can still think—just think—then I’m half-way
sober and can catch those fleeting ingenuities that otherwise get by
me . . . I too am an alcoholic and once sat with my number one, el
supremo smile before my typewriter, toppling in place over my copy, a
farsighted blur pasted to my eyeballs. I patiently uncurled the
English tongue to make it speak plain but it kept tying itself into
gorgeous knots I couldn’t make sense of. And if the knot had a hard
glow, like sunlight on snow, then I didn’t care about sense. This
light overrode sense, or the need for it. Light is all. This, I’d
assure myself with a thankful glance toward heaven, this is the best
prose I’ve ever written." — Donald Newlove, Those Drinking Days:
Myself and Other Writers

* "I’d rather have a free bottle in front of me than a prefrontal
lobotomy." — Tom Waits

* "I’m tired, I’ve been drinking since nine o’clock, my wife is
vomiting, there’s been a lot of screaming going on around here!”
—Nick, Who’s Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, 1966

* “Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.”
—Dean Wormer, Animal House, 1978

* “Beer’s like . . . fuckin’ great, ya know?”
—O.T., Spring Break, 1983

* “Didn’t you ever get really shitfaced and maybe make a complete fool
of yourself and still have an excellent time?”
—Gib, The Sure Thing, 1985

* “It takes a special talent to be a drunk. It takes endurance.
Endurance is more important than truth.”
—Henry, Barfly, 1987

* “I come from six generations of seamen all with the same goal in
life: catch fish, sell ‘em, get drunk and get laid.”
—Capt. Greybar, Cabin Boy, 1994

* “Here’s 50 bucks, take this in case I get drunk and call you a bitch
later.”
—Ricky, Made, 2001

* “I’m going to go on an overnight drunk, and in 10 days I’m going to
set out to find the shark that ate my friend and destroy it.”
—Steve Zissou, The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou, 2004
Post by Mr. Mistery
Mr. Mistery.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~npjdjong/index.html
Cheers,
////
(o o)
-oOO--(_)--OOo-

"If it weren't for pickpockets I'd have no sex life at all."
--Rodney Dangerfield

Remove nospam to email me.

Steve